Coughing is a type of reflex action that begins when the sensory nerves of the respiratory system are stimulated by different irritants. By coughing, the body tries to flush out the irritants and foreign particles that have entered the respiratory passage. Dry cough and wet cough are the two types of cough that people commonly suffer from. Dry cough can cause a lot of discomfort, especially in the night and can also deprive the person of sleep and rest. Dry cough in children is very common, but many adults, too, suffer from dry cough. Dry cough treatment with the help of medications and dry cough remedies is essential to prevent it from turning into a persistent or chronic cough. Persistent, chronic dry cough can be very difficult to treat and takes a long time to cure completely.
Dry Cough Causes
Dry cough can be caused due to various factors like exposure to atmospheric pollutants and dust, airborne infections, changes in weather, inhalation of chemicals, low humidity, smoking, etc. Certain medical conditions like asbestosis, an infection of the respiratory tract, asthma, allergies, laryngitis, bronchitis, common cold, flu, tracheitis, pneumonia, whooping cough, sinus infections, etc. are also some of the dry cough causes. Dry cough tends to aggravate in the night and could also lead to other respiratory disorders if it is not treated on time. Read more on dry cough causes.
Dry Cough Treatment
For quick relief from dry cough, over-the-counter medications and suppressants can be used. Cough suppressants that contain dextromethorphan, codeine, and pholcodine could be especially helpful in providing relief from dry cough. A drug called Tessalon Perles (Benzonatate) can be used to treat chronic dry cough and dry cough at night.
Homeopathic Dry Cough Treatment
Apart from the over-the-counter medications and prescription medications for dry cough treatment, homeopathic medications could be beneficial for the treatment and cure of dry cough. Homeopathic dry cough treatment should used to treat dry cough in children as it is free of any side effects. The homeopathic medicines that should be consumed to treat dry cough include sulphur, rumex crispus, nux vomica, pulsatilla, ipecacuanha, bryonia and ferrum phosphoricum.
Dry Cough Remedies
Dry cough is best treated with the help of home remedies that are effective and safe as well. Natural ingredients are to be used for these dry cough remedies, they provide long term relief and also prevent the dry cough from reoccurring. Read more on home remedies for cough.
* Add a few drops of ginger root juice to a teaspoon of honey and consume this three to four times a day and before going to bed. This soothes the respiratory passages and provides relief from dry cough. This a well known dry cough remedy.
* Prepare a mixture of a teaspoon of turmeric powder, a teaspoon of carom seeds and half a glass of water. Consume this mixture twice a day to soothe throat irritation caused by dry cough.
* Drink lots of warm water throughout the day. Add some honey to warm water for better results.
* Prepare a mixture of grape juice and honey and consume it before going to bed and when you wake up in the morning.
* Have a glass of warm milk with turmeric to soothe the throat and cure dry cough completely.
* Add a couple of drops of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water to reduce throat inflammation and eliminate dry cough.
* Inhaling steam for 10 minutes, twice a day will help hydrate and moisten the throat to cure dry cough.
* Consuming ginger tea or herbal tea could also help cure dry cough and soothe the throat and the respiratory tract.
The above dry cough treatment and remedies should be followed as soon as dry cough is developed. If the dry cough is persistent or chronic, medical assistance should be sought for it, and once it has been cured, make sure you take appropriate measures to prevent it from recurring.